Saturday, January 29, 2011

Choux Eclairs???


My first attempt to bake choux exclairs after an inspiring show by Rachel Allen Bake. But unfortunately the batter turn out very wet and I can't pipe out the shape I want it to be. I guess I miss the consistency concept of the batter for chaux pastry. Not to waste the batter I scoop it into paper cups and bake it, make a hole and voila, my version of cream puff (not so really)

Seriously when it comes to choux pastry, its all about the right measurement of the ingredients. For me when it comes to cooking, I don't really like the concept of "recipe" as cooking requires creativity, and creative food need no recipe :). But pastry is exceptional, right "recipe" is a must for you to get the good end result.

Otherwise your eclairs will end up like mine, turn out to be not-so-really-cream-puff.



Ingredients

Choux pastry

100g (3 ½ oz) strong white or plain flour

Pinch of salt

150ml (1/4 pint) water

75g (3oz) butter

3 eggs, beaten

1 extra egg, beaten - to brush eclairs before baking

For the chocolate glacé icing

200g (7oz) icing sugar

25g (1oz) cocoa powder

1 2 tbsp boiling water

For the crème chantilly filling

50g (2oz) icing sugar (1 generous tbsp), sifted

1 tsp vanilla extract

400ml (14fl oz) whipped cream (measure when whipped)

2 piping bags

Plain 5-8mm (1/4 – 3/8 in) nozzle

Plain 3mm (1/8 in) nozzle (optional

For the method you can peek at this link :)

No comments:

Post a Comment